Photo credit: Wikipedia user Thermos. License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Generic

Sunday, February 13, 2011

God's Name revealed

This paper is an exegesis of Exodus 6:1-7 in which God makes himself known by his name, YHWH, to Moses and promises that He will deliver this people from slavery under Pharaoh in Egypt...

The whole passage is dominated by God’s repeated self-disclosure: “I am YHWH”. This is one of the most significant events in the Bible for, though God has many “names” in the Bible, the others are really just titles and descriptors. YHWH, however, may be regarded as his unique, personal Name that is to treated as sacred and never used in vain (Ex 20:7; Dt 5:11). The Name is believed to be related to the verb הָיָה (haya, to be) and hence God’s earlier answer to Moses’ question, “If... they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?” (Ex 3:13). God’s reply was “I will be who I will be” or, “I am who I am” (אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה), and that “I will be”, or “I am”, is sending Moses.

For the full assignment, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment